Linux compatability of Acer Aspireone AO751H netbook?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 10 02:42:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:17:25AM -0400, Giles Orr wrote

> Other than the screen size and a slightly slower version of the Atom,
> it looks pretty much identical to the 10" Aspireones, which are very
> common.

  Although I'm not an "idiot Gentoo ricer", I'm sure that some tweaking
in Gentoo will speed things up.  And of course, there's the "desktop
environment", or lack thereof.  My reaction to GNOME+KDE is "The Pox on
both your houses".  Running Blackbox or Fluxbox as the WM is an amazing
speedup.  From 1999 to 2007, I had a 450 mhz Dell PIII with 128 megs of
system ram (today's video cards have more).  With Gentoo+Blackbox, it
was OK for everything except "internet TV" and editing 2560x1920 photos
in GIMP, until it died in the summer of 2007.

  Any machine that calls itself a "netbook" is warning you that it is
*NOT* a desktop replacement, let alone a gaming rig.

> You could probably get a good read on this one by checking on
> the 10" version Linux compatibility?

  Earlier SSD-only (no hard drive) versions with a smaller screen
offered "Linpus Lite" Linux as an option.  "Linpus Lite" is Fedora-based,
but it's based on Fedora 8.0, and Acer has limited the repository that
it can access.  Besides, you prabaly get stuck with i386 RPMs and DEBs,
Some people did manage to install Fedora and Gentoo on it.  But the
11.6" version is so new that I can't find anybody else's experiences on
Google.