Linux compatability of Acer Aspireone AO751H netbook?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 9 15:17:25 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>:
>  The 7/9/10 inch ASUS EEE models have seemed too small for me.  The
> 11.6" Acer Aspireone AO751H series with 1366x768 screen looks like the
> best compromise for my needs.  My question is whether anyone here has
> successfully installed linux (specifically Gentoo) on it after wiping
> Windows.  I'm looking at the following model...
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=024322&cid=896.862.670

I agree with you completely about the screen - which is why I'm still
using a Dell m700 from 2005 (12" 1280x800 screen).  The Dell
unfortunately has a 92% keyboard, and that's another place this Acer
wins: it's a 100% keyboard.  So my initial reaction was "hey, this
looks great," but then I noticed the processor.  Big battery and slow
processor = (probably) great run-time, but that "slow processor" part
is definitely putting me off.  I really wish they were throwing the
dual core Atom in some of these things (although you'd pay for it in
shorter battery life).  I guess I'll stay with the Dell a bit longer.

Other than the screen size and a slightly slower version of the Atom,
it looks pretty much identical to the 10" Aspireones, which are very
common.  You could probably get a good read on this one by checking on
the 10" version Linux compatibility?  Or maybe see if Canada Computers
will let you boot the latest Knoppix disc in their demo model?

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org