Is Bell Blocking Skype?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 9 04:51:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Rajinder Yadav<devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Darryl Moore<darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I say Michael, you are having a difficult time. First downloading issues
>> now skype.
>>
>> I think this suggests that possibly you issue is a little closer to home
>> than your ISP. Can't say what the issue is, but I might start with your
>> router and your wiring.
>>
>> I once had a home made cable where I had one wire from each pair mixed
>> up. It caused a whole bunch of issues very much like you are
>> experiencing. Took a while to find too!
>>
>> cheers,
>> darryl
>>
>> Michael Lauzon wrote:
>>> As the subject says: "Is Bell blocking Skype", because I am unable to
>>> connect at all, and I've tried a tonne of times..?!
>
> I am will bell sympatico, I use their portable wireless internet and
> don't have issues with connection or using skype. if you're behind a
> router trying eliminating as many variables and the work toward your
> current setup.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Rajinder Yadav

Indeed. It's usually a good idea to eliminate what suspects you have
control over such as your router, etc, before blaming the ISP. If
you've got more than one PC, and/or can connect directly to the modem,
give that a shot first. You could always invite a buddy over with
his/her laptop to test things out too

A lot of ISP's have been up to unsavory practices lately (particularly
Bell), but they're not the root of *all* evil... just a good portion
of it online ;-)