usb wireless networking for notebook

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 8 23:08:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Jamon Camisso<jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thomas Milne wrote:
>>
>> I've totally given up on the Broadcom crap. Some people just don't
>> know how to make a simple network device.
>>
>> Anyhow, someone suggested i get a usb wireless card for the notebook,
>> but I've no experience with those at all. I wonder if anyone can point
>> me to a wireless add-on that is easily recognized and supported under
>> Linux.
>
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_hostif.php?hostif=USB
>
> ralink chipsets show decent support across the board, and I'm sure you can
> find one of the adaptors listed there for ~$20 at most computer shops.

One thing worries me about this list: the devices that are labelled as
'green', most show links to driver downloads and such. Are there no
usb wireless adaptors that are supported natively in the kernel?

I guess it's been so long since I've used Windows, I've become
somewhat suspicious of the concept of going and downloading my own
drivers ;)

Thanks!