Google Plans a PC Operating System

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 8 19:41:35 UTC 2009

On 08/07/09 03:16 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

>>>   someone on the fedora list claims that all this is is a google
>>> distro of linux, stripped down to host their chrome browser and
>>> not much else.  so it's linux.  big deal.  not exactly a new "OS".
>> To about 90% of the population, it is a new OS so why dismiss it?
>> With Google's market reach and PR, this is a very positive
>> development.
>
>   i disagree, since that article makes no admission whatsoever that
> their "new" OS is simply a repackaged linux.  while, *technically*,
> they have the right to do that, *ethically*, i think it sucks.
> they're announcing this exciting new development without giving credit
> to all of the linux developers who made it possible.  i find that
> incredibly sleazy.  but that's just me.

First, there is the world of geeks, where operating systems are debated
with religious zeal. Then, there is the rest of the rest of the world,
which for the most part doesn't understand or care about the fuss over
operating systems, cost-of-ownership, vendor lock-in, or licensing
models. At this point, I'm not convinced that being based on Linux is a
positive to anyone other than the religious zealots. The masses aren't
going to be won over if it's mentioned that this "new" OS is based on
Linux. If they're going to be won over at all, and that's a dubious
proposition, they'll be won over on the basis of relieving some point of
pain for users and apparently, users have a very high threshold for pain
based upon how many of them use Windows without even considering any
alternatives.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay