Google Plans a PC Operating System

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 8 19:15:13 UTC 2009

Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Robert P. J. Day<rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, jim wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/technology/companies/08operate.html?th&emc=th
>>  someone on the fedora list claims that all this is is a google
>> distro of linux, stripped down to host their chrome browser and not
>> much else.  so it's linux.  big deal.  not exactly a new "OS".
>>
>> rday
>> --
> makes for good PR, sounds better to say new OS than stripped down
> Linux.... get more bite when they hype up android i guess?

/me sheds a silent tear for the internets.

Hopefully with a linux base people will be able to edit their /etc/hosts
file and block google analytics etc. from collecting more data than they
already do about everyone. Same goes for being able to view tcp etc.
traffic. Hopefully it doesn't call home at all.

Whatever it is google plans to do, the privacy implications are
enormous. And frankly, it would take a lot on their part for me to not
find them rather disturbing.

Jamon