CRTC to look at how Internet traffic is managed

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 6 00:20:39 UTC 2009

| From: Rajinder Yadav <devguy-DaQTI0RpDDMAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I find the following statement perplexing, which is it? Rogers wants to
| sound like the good guy in all this traffic shaping =)
|
| >>Traffic isn't shaped when a Rogers customer downloads a file or a
| >>video, said Ken Engelhart, senior vice-president of regulatory.
| >>
| >>"We give complete access to any content you want," Engelhart said.
| >>
| >>But he said peer-to-peer file sharing applications that "swamp" the
| >>network are managed, he said.

I don't think that he is lying, I think he is being economical with
the truth.

As far as I know, traffic to the Rogers customer isn't throttled, it
is traffic from the customer that is shaped.

Bittorrent in particular has its upload speed whacked really hard.
For example, I have used BT to download a number of Linux distro .iso
files.  I can often acquire them in a very reasonable time, but
leaving BT on for a day afterwards does not transmit the same volume
from me to others.

The internet was designed as a dumb network with smart endpoints.
Each endpoint is conceptually a peer.  Rogers and Bell want us to be
limited to being consumers, not producers.  That is the real shaping
of the internet.