Perl or Python?

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 4 14:28:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 16:11 -0700, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Dare I say this but Ruby is a fun language. I had a chance to kick it around and I'm hooked. If I have to learn one script language, this would be it.
>
> You can pretty much do anything the other procedural scripts can do. I've read it is much easier to hook/interface with C code to do the heavy lift, much so than with Python.
>
> There are a few keywords which I wish they had borrowed rather than try to be different. I have tired a few times to get rolling with perl, but it never grabbed me.

Try a 'hello world!' program in each of them.  If you can't decide then,
grab pictures of a camel, snake and Jewel and put them up on a dart
board.

At the level of programming prowess that I recall the original poster
mentioning, any language will do.  And no one will be able to guess
which one he'll enjoy best.

Regards,
--matt