Semi OT: communication between telco networks

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 2 19:41:51 UTC 2009

It makes me worry somewhat for the future though. As we end up with
phone numbers strewn all over the places, and
dozens/hundreds/thousands of VOIP carriers picking up various phone
blocks, things will likely get rather confusion.

Who's in charge of keeping track of what number belongs to a certain
carrier? Previously, it used to be that you could tell by the first 7
digits, but with number portability you can't even tell what's a cell
or not anymore.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Lennart
Sorensen<lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:27:34PM -0400, Aviss,Tyler wrote:
>> Not Linux related, but interesting in a technical sense.
>>
>> I've often heard of ISPs coming to an impasse with pairing agreements,
>> and ceasing to route traffic for each other (resulting in "dead zones"
>> if IPs the clients can't connect to).
>>
>> Has anyone ever heard of routing issues with phones. President's choice
>> (and many others) use Bell for calls. My Pc card gives a "this call
>> cannot be completed as dialled" when calling a 778-890-xxxx (Fido/Prince
>> George) area phone. I talk to an operator, and from her landline she gets
>> the same message.
>>
>> I *know* the number is correct, one is my GF's (calling her while in
>> Toronto to finish my house sale, I moved) and one if mine.
>>
>> This isn't (a least not yet) a complaint about Bell/Fido/PC, but rather a
>> question of whether such things can or often do happen in phone-land.
>> Maybe they use VOIP and it doesn't recognize that extension, or some
>> other weirdness?
>>
>> Anyone know a company that uses Telus/Rogers/other for phone cards, or
>> someone other than PC that has a cheapie $5 Bell-network card for
>> testing.
>>
>> PC is supposed to email me when the learned more. Ironically, they
>> likely can't call my cell if their operators have the same issues
>> calling 777 :-)
>>
>> (sent from my phone, so please excuse the typos)
>
> I have had cases on my Bell cell phone where I tried calling a friends
> rogers cell phone and got a 'this number is not in service' message.
> 2 hours later it worked again.  I have heard of this happening a number
> of times.  I have also managed to try calling my father from my cell
> phone (which is now on rogers) at home, and have it essentially indicate
> 'number not in service' while calling the other line at the house worked
> fine, and it worked again later that day.
>
> It really seems that sometimes Bell and/or rogers manage to flag numbers
> as not in service even though they have been in service for years and
> still are, but on the other provider's network.
>
> I think they are both incompetent.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Tyler Aviss