Perl or Python?

Rajinder Yadav devguy-DaQTI0RpDDMAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 1 22:29:28 UTC 2009

Marc thanks for your input,

since both perl and python are consider high level languages and I am already coding in C++, I guess I could say they are both easy to learn.

So by "simple" I guess what I should have said is, which language is clean and easier to maintain. Since I already understand OO concepts, I guess it would make sense to leverage those skills, which would imply Python is the way to go.

Also it seems you can do more with Python in terms of building real-world applications around it, if I am to believe the Python tutorial. I like the idea of not having to compile and link, so for very simple things I would most likely leverage using Python or Perl.

I really like the idea of having an extensive library to work with, good to know Python has this covered.

The only reason I would want to write a package manager is for learning, better understanding. I have not yet started to look into existing package managers.

I feel if I am going to build my Linux skills I should learn at least a script language that I am proficient with =)

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav