Perl or Python?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 1 21:09:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:46:47 -0700 (PDT)
Rajinder Yadav <devguy-DaQTI0RpDDMAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I came across this on the Python page:
>
> "Because of its more general data types Python is applicable to a
> much larger problem domain than Awk or even Perl, yet many things are
> at least as easy in Python as in those languages."
>
> The reason I am asking is if I wanted to write my own simple package
> manager for the Linux distro I am planning to created from scratch I
> would like to have a script language to do all this in to automate
> steps, etc.
>
> Yes I am well aware there are package managers out there for me to
> use.

You know APT is coded in C++, right? Yum is coded in Python. If it's
between Python and Perl, for this particular tool I'd recommend Perl. I
could be slightly biased because I find Yum so darn slow. I don't know
if that's because Python is slower than Perl in general, though I feel
that might be true.

By the way, what is your incentive for making yet another package
manager (yapm?). If you have no good reason to reinvent the wheel, I
suggest you consider using Zero Install:

  http://0install.net/
  http://0install.net/matrix.html

I'm still waiting to hear of a distro that uses it as its main package
manager :)

Marc

--
If you want to travel around the world and be invited to speak at a lot
of different places, just write a Unix operating system.