why might debian install require constant pressing of ENTER?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 1 14:08:21 UTC 2009

| From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org>

|   when installing debian 5.01 on one of my gateway mx7120 laptops,
| almost invariably, the install runs fine partway through all the SW
| install, then slows to a crawl for each package -- a situation i can
| rectify by simply holding down the ENTER key.

Does it have to be ENTER?  Does SPACE work?  How about SHIFT?

I seem to vaguely remember there being occasions where my systems have
perked up when I hit the keyboard.  My thought was that there was a
lost interrupt and the next interrupt kind of got it going again.
Very fuzzy memory.

Consider playing with APIC-related kernel parameters if this is the case.