New Vantec Nexstar 3i

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 31 02:02:25 UTC 2009

Hi all,

   I've been eye'ing the new Vantec Nexstar 3i SATA HDD chassis for the
last little bit, and was debating picking it up. I'd not seen any
mention of it being supported by Linux, so was a little worried. I'm
happy to say thought that, on initial testing, it works great.

   It's a bit different in that it's got a built-in processor that spins
the drive down after a period of inactivity, from "Idle", to "Stand by"
and finally "Power Down". It claims that the three states reduce power
draw from 100% when in "Active" state to 80/20/7% power use, respectively.

   I've tried accessing the drive when in full idle and it only took
about 5 seconds or so to be fully available again. Not too bad, I think.

   I like it, and thought others might, for use with backups. I run a
nightly rsync of my local machines and remote servers and it bothered me
that the normal USB carriers kept the HDD spinning the whole time. It
was a waste of hydro and needless wear on the drive.

   So anyway, now you know it works, should any of you be curious to
check it out. Cost me $45 at Canada Computers.

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/292
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019533&cid=516.700

Madi