If you need a laugh

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 30 18:27:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Elcomb <psema4 at ...> writes:
>> Not to detract from your point, but many businesses don't want to
>> shell anything out that they can get for free or at little cost right
>> now.  Ignoring economics, that can be a Good Thing - particularly in
>> the recent Surge Of Acceptance of FOSS in general.
>
> Wait, wait, how do you go from 'free' in the small business context (think
> pirated windows) to FOSS. FOSS will be accepted at that level when the
> anti-piracy laws that currently apply to cd media will apply also to that.
> Meanwhile 'free' windows is what runs most 'small businesses'. Just a reality
> check. And, yes, I wish it would be otherwise.

I'm not sure I'm following you here.  You're suggesting that FOSS
won't be accepted by SMB's unless the software is tied up by/with copy
protection and/or other TPM's?

(On a side note, if you're referring to the "blank media levy" [re:
'anti-piracy laws that currently apply to cd media'] then it does
apply to any FOSS you burn and distribute - say to your friends or
family - in Canada; you'll have already paid the "tax" when you bought
the blank cd's or dvd's.)

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/