If you need a laugh

Stephen W. Clarke stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 29 19:41:16 UTC 2009

Descriptions I've found work well when talking to the over 60 crowd are:

CPU: The part of the computer that actually does work.
Memory: The workspace for the CPU. Where the CPU does the work. The more
workspace you have the more work the CPU can get done.
HDD: The filing cabinet for the computer. The more files you have the more
disk space you need.
Motherboard: The piece that allows all of the other bits to communicate.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a term I'm happy with to distinguish a
"computer" with monitor, keyboard and mouse and one without monitor,
keyboard and mouse. As a result I usually use the word "computer" for both
situations.

I've also described a swap file as being like a "box under your desk where
you store files your are using that you can't fit on your workspace". It
seemed to work for the situation. :)

Stephen

On Thu, January 29, 2009 14:26, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:37, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It's a better term than calling it a "CPU" or the "Hard Drive". At
>>> least it's vague enough not to send someone in the wrong direction. :P
>>>

>> I've heard people call the hard drive: memory....
>>

> I hear that one a fair bit, but more often it's the use of CPU to
> refer to the computer as a whole. I've had people get angsty at me for
> calling the unit as a whole a "PC" :-) Ever tried explaining the different
> between a computer, CPU, RAM, and hard-disk to a non-technical person?
> What's the best explanation
> you've found?
>

> PC/Desktop/Computer/Laptop: The whole computer
> CPU=The brain of the computer. It has to be fast enough to run your
> programs LCD/monitor=The TV-like part
> RAM/Memory=Where the computer holds programs while they're running. It
> gets erased when the computer is reset or turned off. Large programs need
> to be able to fit into this while your computer is running. Hard
> Drive=Where your computer holds (semi) permanent information such
> as installed programs or saved documents/movies/music/etc. It is not
> deleted when your computer is turned off, and space is consumed as you
> install more programs or save/download more documents
>

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>>

>> Michael Lauzon
>> --