fan noise for HP ML115

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 26 15:22:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 07:54:55PM -0500, Neil Watson wrote:
> I was thinking about a new HP ML115 for my home office.  I'm concerned
> about the noise since it's location will be under my desk.  Does anyone
> have one of these servers?  How load is it?

I found a Q&A for that model from HP and saw this one that I find hard
to believe:

Q4.  	Why do I need four memory slots?
A4. 	Having four memory slots most likely enables systems to
accommodate more total memory than a two or three slot solution.
Additionally, having up to 3 open slots allows users to add memory
incrementally, growing only as fast as it is necessary. Most importantly
for cost-sensitive small businesses, having four slots accommodates
large memory configurations without using extremely expensive high
density DIMMs. For example, loading 2GB in 2 slots costs $3,000-$4,000
more than loading 2GB in four lots (2x1 GB DIMMs vs. 4x512MB DIMMs).

Is HP actually claiming it costs $4000 to buy a pair of 1GB ECC dimms
for their box?

--
Len Sorensen