KDE4 users, Linux feels your pain

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 25 13:01:09 UTC 2009

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>> I have tried KDE 4 and don't like it either.
> I tried it, liked it in theory, but despised the shakiness of its
> implementation as well as Kubuntu's haste in declaring it ready for
> newbie use as of 4.1. I like Dolphin better than any file manager I
> have ever used, and still find KDE overall better than GNOME, so I'm
> willing to put up with some of the grief.
>
> (FWIW, I followed the Kubuntu instructions to install the 4.2 beta and
> much has improved ... though much remains to be fixed. I now consider
> it usable though I'm waiting for Ubuntu to ship the current nVidia
> driver which is supposed to fix some of ITS bugs that affect KDE.)
>
> In the long term much of KDE4's success will depend on whether
> developers take advantage of its new facilities -- the catalog of
> useful widgets is still painfully small.

I use OpenSUSE and they made it the default KDE desktop, before it was
ready.  In 11.0, KDE 3.5 is still available.  In 11.1, there's a reduced
function emulation, running on KDE 4.  However, there are other reasons
why I've decided to stay with 11.0 for now, including Wake on LAN is
broken in 11.1.  There are also problems with using XDMCP from an 11.0
destop to 11.1.