KDE4 users, Linux feels your pain

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 25 04:00:48 UTC 2009

James Knott wrote:
> I have tried KDE 4 and don't like it either.
I tried it, liked it in theory, but despised the shakiness of its
implementation as well as Kubuntu's haste in declaring it ready for
newbie use as of 4.1. I like Dolphin better than any file manager I have
ever used, and still find KDE overall better than GNOME, so I'm willing
to put up with some of the grief.

(FWIW, I followed the Kubuntu instructions to install the 4.2 beta and
much has improved ... though much remains to be fixed. I now consider it
usable though I'm waiting for Ubuntu to ship the current nVidia driver
which is supposed to fix some of ITS bugs that affect KDE.)

In the long term much of KDE4's success will depend on whether
developers take advantage of its new facilities -- the catalog of useful
widgets is still painfully small.

- Evan