Keyboard shopping

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 16:20:45 UTC 2009

Well, it looks like I will be springing (pun intended) for a new
keyboard after all.

I do a lot of typing, so quality means a lot. I would like to know if
anyone here has experience with any of the following:

- Cherry G80-3000 -- Mechanical switches, from a company known for its
well-built POS keyboards

- Das Keyboard -- expensive but very cool looking; uses the Cherry
mechanical switches

- Matias Tactile Pro -- Made in Woodbridge, high quality but expensive

- Unicomp Customizer -- the modern version of the old IBM Model M
keyboard legacy

- Saitek Eclipse II -- one of the better non-mechanical-switch models,
lights in the dark

Any experiences with these -- or a recommendation for a really good
typists' keyboard made not mentioned above -- are welcomed, as are any
recommendations of stores in the GTA. It appears that all of the above
models have to be ordered online; it would be nice to try them out.

- Evan