[OT] Any opionions on Power Shell?

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 10:08:20 UTC 2009

Date sent:	Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:03:51 -0500
From:	William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:46:06PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
>
> >I have recently discovered that, as early as 2006, M$ Windows decided to give
> >up the ghost and implement a UNIX-emulating shell called power shell for the
> >purpose of "serious" system administration.
>
> --snip--
>
> >Anyone tried this shell? Any comments on it?

--snip--

> It came into being because systems administrators cannot do anything
> complex to hundreds or thousands of machines under their care with a GUI
> - it is just ludicrous.  Microsoft needed to support a server
> farm/cloud/datacentre play that was actually maintainable, and everyone
> they talked to told them that that needed to be a shell.

So, they're finding this out for the first time?! :-) I am imagining that if
they had to do serious server administration in their Redmond head office, they
must have been running Unix on their servers.

--snip--

> If I had to make Windows do anything more complicated than boot I'd be
> using it, but it is not, IIRC, installed in the non-server versions of
> Windows.

It comes as "optional" for MS Server System 2008 (on CD), and it is available
for download in the 32 and 64-bit versions of XP and for Vista. I am playing
with it on my copy of XP.

Paul