Strange keyboard/mouse behaviour

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 05:03:47 UTC 2009

I've never ever come across this one before.

Since upgrading to Kubuntu 8.10 (and using the nVidea binary driver that
comes with it), I've been having some very strange things happen to the
input systems;

- If I press the shift key to type something, sometimes, the shift is
sticky (as if I pressed caps-lock); sometimes I need to repeatedly press
the caps-lock key (or sometimes the shift key) to 'unstick' things. This
is not consistent repeatable, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.

- Sometimes when I want to highlight a line of something (a specific
email in Thunderbird, a file in Dolphin, etc.) when I click on a file it
highlights multiple entries even though I only clicked one line. It's as
if I'm pressing shift-click even though I'm not pressing anything on the
keyboard.

Obviously the two are related; the input is reporting that I'm pressing
shift when I'm not.

I've tried different keyboard layouts without any effect. Is this
something in software, or is my keyboard (a very good 15 year old
Fujitsu model with a tactile feedback I can't easily find anymore)
starting to die on me?

I'm right now disinclined to think hardware failure because things were
working fine before the upgrade. I just don't know where to start
diagnosing this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

- Evan