Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 16 18:13:00 UTC 2009

Howard Gibson wrote:
>    A friend of mine has installed Fedora on his computer.  His girlfriend has discovered that Open Office is not compatible with Microsoft Office.
>
>    The actual problem is that her documents are formatted with page breaks, and that Open Office uses a font with different line spacing that Microsoft Word uses.  If she had learned to use Microsoft Word's stylesheet, everything would work fine.  The worst case is that she would have to update a table of contents.
>
>    This is a training and education issue, and perhaps a strong case for WordPerfect, which actually behaves the way most people assume a word processor behaves.

FWIW, yesterday I was in a customer's office. She had OpenOffice 3.0
installed on her computer. Now that she's used to it, she prefers it to
Microsoft Office. Apparently her IT guy suggested it. Also, MS office
can now support ODF files, either through the Sun ODF plugin or the
promised Office 2007 SP, which should be out soon.

Sun ODF Plugin:
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin