Speakerphone for Ubuntu 8.10?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 16 17:59:05 UTC 2009

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> True enough, but in the case of skype, it really does suck, 110% of the
> time. Admittedly the OP did note that it would be required and some
> suggestions were given before the skype bashing began in earnest.
> However, as a part of a public record and archive, it should certainly
> be made known that, at this point in time, skype truly does suck as
> understood by a particular set of users (those using Fedora 9, Ubuntu
> 8.10, and USB headsets).

I use a Logitech USB headset with Skype all the time on Kubuntu Hardy
without any problems, other than the usual great variance in call
quality. That has nothing to do with the USB headset. I was using Skype
extensively last year and when the call quality wasn't great, I'd just
flip over to Gizmo. Once I found 10-10-229 <http://1010229.com/>, my
usage of Skype and Gizmo decreased because all the places I called,
Canada, U.S., Western Europe, and Australia, were all one cent per
minute to landlines. That's close enough to free that bothering with
VOIP or Skype wasn't worth it. Recently, 10-10-229 prices have doubled
to a whopping two cents per minute to everywhere I call but within
Canada. That's still cheap enough that I don't care about the
highly-variable call quality on Skype and Gizmo.

Nonetheless, I am looking at VOIP for other reasons other than cheaper
long distance, not that I've found long distance cheaper than two cents
per minute on VOIP anyway.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay