Speakerphone for Ubuntu 8.10?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 16 14:24:31 UTC 2009

Jamon Camisso wrote:
> True enough, but in the case of skype, it really does suck, 110% of
> the time.
According to one person's opinion. It works fine for me. I've used it to
call phones in Canada from India and Egypt for 2¢ per minute and I've
used it for truly global conference calls on a frequent basis. Its sound
quality is better than any other VOIP system I've tried. And ... most
importantly .. the people I want to talk to are already registered
there. The communities of Wengo and Gizmo users are orders of magnitude
smaller.

No new skype upgrade has ever diminished my ability to use it. OTOH,
upgrading to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 has broken my ability to use certain
microphones for *any* application.

> However, as a part of a public record and archive, it should certainly
> be made known that, at this point in time, skype truly does suck as
> understood by a particular set of users (those using Fedora 9, Ubuntu
> 8.10, and USB headsets).
The "public record" (such as it is here) should note that the sample
size is particularly small, and does not include those who thought that
the original complaint was too baseless to bother refuting.

I too prefer open source and standard-based systems. And when there's a
SIP alternative that does what I need and doesn't suck more -- and
heavens knows I've tried many -- I'll be happy to switch. But for now
I'll gladly go on the record as saying that the latest Ubuntu platform
has created more obstacles to my use of VOIP than Skype has. The
hyper-complexity of ALSA is a perfect example of the open source world
*still* not understanding what most people need from an operating system
platform.

- Evan