Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

Maureen Thornton maureen-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 16:48:11 UTC 2009

Okay, this I have heard a number of times and is why I have joined Colin
and Jon to try to educate the common mass.  Usually I just lurk on this
sight and learn as much as I can but this touches me where it hurts.

I am not a programmer nor a computer whizz  or guru, I am an Executive
Assistant who normally has an IT dept. taking care of problems.  This
said, I had Linux put on a machine and handed to me to try by a
programmer (those of you who know me will guess who!)  I hated and loved
it!  Loved it for the idea of a free system for all those who could not
and should not have to pay the Microsoft shit.  Hated it 'cos you had to
know too much about computers and realized where Microsoft had jumped
way ahead with their thinking.

It has taken me four years to get comfortable with Linux, most of my
friends and co-workers that I turned on to Linux have done exactly what
this lady has done...given up and (fortunately had the cash) purchased
Windows, taken it so someone who understands computers and had it
installed.   If you guys want to promote Linux to "everyman" make it
more user friendly for the rank that just wish to turn it on and it
works.  I have  had Ubunutu  Installed on my Toshiba laptop in July and
I am still trying to get it up to where I want and need it!

My two bits worth.
Maureen