Speakerphone for Ubuntu 8.10?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 20:48:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 03:22:45PM -0500, Alex Beamish wrote:
>> Looks like I might have to be on a work conference call tonight, using Skype.
>>
>> I had Skype working when my system was using Fedora 8, but an upgrade
>> to F9 went badly so I moved to Ubuntu 8.10. I installed Skype recently
>> but couldn't get it to work with my USB headset. Now I'm looking at
>> have a colleague over for the conference call, so I'd like to have
>> some sort of speakerphone setup.
>>
>> I've googled for this (skype ubuntu speakerphone -headset) and found
>> this page from 2.5 years ago:
>>
>>   http://www.hotvoipnews.com/blog_46.shtml
>>
>> The unit sure looks cool, but I'm not sure I can source one here in
>> Toronto in the next six hours .. unless someone on the list can a)
>> suggest a local store that might carry this unit or b) tell me that
>> using a bog-standard microphone plugged into my sound card should work
>> fine.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Skype sucks.  The protocol is disgusting from a network point of view.

Possibly. That's not my concern right now -- the conference call is on
Skype, so if I want to take part, a Skype-ing I will go. :)

> So far I highly encourage people to switch to something standards
> compliant, like sip and h.323.  I use ekiga, which uses those standards,
> and has windows and linux software available and works with lots of
> other programs (including I believe microsoft netmeeting).

Ekiga (formerly known as GnomeMeeting) looks interesting, and I'll try
it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario