Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 18:23:54 UTC 2009

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
>
> > This is a nothing story from a nothing source written by a nobody.
> Even if that's all true, the wonders of the Web allow it to be spread
> around far more than it deserves. Dismissing the article this way does
> not diminish its potential damage.

Any damage done, as I said, is from people spreading the story. It is not
'wonders' of anything, or magic or invisible, it's you.

> > It doesn't matter at all, except to the extent that people who might
> > actually like Ubuntu are for some misguided reason paying attention to it
> > and posting it to a million discussion groups.
>
> It matters to the point that it's a new excuse usable by those who have
> a vested interest in not considering open source. Given that Ubuntu is
> generally the Linux media darling and the usual default considered by
> new users, a knock against Ubuntu at this level is a general knock on
> Linux. Advocates at least ought to be prepared when this example --
> useless as you think it may be -- gets trumped up by someone as
> a(nother) reason to stay with Microsoft. In these situations it's often
> helpful to not be caught offguard, even if the accusation is easy to refute.

No, a lot of people with nothing to do are making a lot out of nothing.

It's a Paris Hilton type story, except it's about Ubuntu, so it's got you all
hyped, just like the person who posted it to Digg wanted.

You've all been duped. Nice.