Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 17:53:08 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 1/15/09, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> From: Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Ian Petersen wrote:
> > This link came through an internal mailing list at
> work today:
> > http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184

> computer from
> > Dell.  The sales guy encourages her to choose Ubuntu
> over Windows.
> > She discovers Ubuntu "won't work" and
> drops out of school.
> >
> > Sounds like user error to me (she claimed that Ubuntu
> couldn't get on
> > the net with Verizon), but it's still probably bad
> press for Ubuntu.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Saw this on Digg... Looks like they were actually gunning
> for an anti-Dell angle, according to the editor's blog,
> and missed entirely.
>
> From what I read, she didn't know anything about her
> computer, and just threw her hands up in frustration and
> gave up without doing even the most cursory research. To be
> honest, it sounds to me like she wasn't very motivated
> to go to school and used this as a convenient excuse. Also,
> the article says that she couldn't run her Verizon CD.
> Didn't talk about her actually connecting. Again, I
> think she just gave up without trying.
>
> Regardless, she sounds like the kind of user that is
> honestly best suited to Windows or OS X.
>
> Madi

I bet she would have similar problems with windows as well. The main difference will be that will not be reported at all. I see many people who can "live" with any problem as long as it is Windows while they can't stand Linux for the slightest problem. It is all a matter of perception.

On the other hand, I had taken a Systems Analysis and Design course at Ryerson and sadly the instructor was not even interested to hear about linux or open source software. The option she gave the students was to use either Word 2000 or Word 97 document (not even PDF was acceptable for her) for submission and Visio or Rational Rose for UML modeling. She was gave me a bit of a warning that I am on my own if Umbrello's models (symbols and diagraming) are not 100% compatible to Visio's when I told her I will be using Umbrelo for UML modeling. She, being a university professor teaching systems analysis and design, should have been the last person to discourage students from exploring alternative software.

EK