Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 17:14:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 08:22:51AM -0800, Ian Petersen wrote:
>> Sounds like user error to me (she claimed that Ubuntu couldn't get on
>> the net with Verizon), but it's still probably bad press for Ubuntu.
>
> Or bad press for Dell or bad press for Verizon.

While I can see it being bad press for Dell, "everyone knows" Verison
is evil--it is a telco, after all--so I don't see it being much of a
problem for Verizon.  In fact, Verizon has offered to help the woman
connect to the net without running the Windows-only CD, whereas Dell
was unavailable for comment.

Interestingly, when I checked the story again to confirm that Verizon
had offered to help the woman, there's an update saying that this
story is the most widely read story ever posted to www.wkowtv.com.
They plan on updating the story tonight with commentary on the story's
spread around the net.

Ian