Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 16:28:33 UTC 2009

Ian Petersen wrote:
> This link came through an internal mailing list at work today:
> http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184

> Dell.  The sales guy encourages her to choose Ubuntu over Windows.
> She discovers Ubuntu "won't work" and drops out of school.
>
> Sounds like user error to me (she claimed that Ubuntu couldn't get on
> the net with Verizon), but it's still probably bad press for Ubuntu.
>
> Ian

Saw this on Digg... Looks like they were actually gunning for an
anti-Dell angle, according to the editor's blog, and missed entirely.

 From what I read, she didn't know anything about her computer, and just
threw her hands up in frustration and gave up without doing even the
most cursory research. To be honest, it sounds to me like she wasn't
very motivated to go to school and used this as a convenient excuse.
Also, the article says that she couldn't run her Verizon CD. Didn't talk
about her actually connecting. Again, I think she just gave up without
trying.

Regardless, she sounds like the kind of user that is honestly best
suited to Windows or OS X.

Madi