Microsoft GPS

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 12 03:47:24 UTC 2009

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> So what exactly is this? A USB GPS card with software? PCMCIA? If it's
> only $50, and it works well for you, please pass info on to the list
> as I (and likely others) might be quite interested in these.

The unit is about the size of a small bar of soap, attached by USB cable
to the computer. Some come with suction cups so you can attach them to
the roof of your car (or maybe the inside deck) while driving.

The units mentioned here at FactoryDirect are usually bundled with
Windows based software designed to let a PC -- with one of these GPS
devices attached -- act like a portable satnav system. The ones offered
cheap are previous years'  editions, so they come with "out of date"
Windows maps: This, of course, means nothing to the open source user who
tosses the Windows software, and buys the package for the cheap GPS
receiver to be used with gpsd on Linux.

Even without a coupon, one can now buy a USB-attached GPS receiver
together with Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 any time for $30:
http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=MS0308

The 2006 version is even less expensive at $20:
http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=MS3003

Be sure -- in the store or online -- to make sure that the one you
choose is includes the GPS receiver. They also sell the software alone.

> If it's a USB device and works with 'nix it would probably do nicely on an EEE or small laptop?

No reason why not (though I have no idea of gpsd' s CPU or RAM load...)
I would imagine that an Atom-based system would have no problems.

- Evan