Laptop outside -> may cause condensation on hdd when going inside ?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 23:44:05 UTC 2009

Peter wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> this is a Canadian question I guess. What does one do to prevent the laptop's
> hdd to get under the dew point temperature such that dew forms on it when
> entering a heated space after being outside (in carry bag) for a while ? The
> short answer is don't do that. The long answer is wait 30+ minutes for the
> temperature of the hdd to get above the dew point. Any more answers ? I am
> tempted to put a heatpack (hand warmer, the kind one pops a disk in a bag in to
> start it) in the laptop carry-bag. Has anyone tried this ? With -12 C in .to 15
> minutes outside will get the hardware under the dew point for sure. Soundly
> engineered type answers get extra virtual brownie points here. Btw a working
> laptop may stay warm enough inside not to need this, I think. Wasting battery
> power to keep the thing warm will not be good.

I've often used a computer shortly after bringing it in from the cold
without issue. I could be wrong, but I believe disk drives are sealed
and don't admit ambient air. There was one disk drive model I used to
service many years ago, that was filled with helium. After opening them
up for service, they required a purge cycle to replace the air with helium.