Laptop outside -> may cause condensation on hdd when going inside ?

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 07:08:48 UTC 2009

Peter wrote:
> Dew point is the temperature of an object at which water from the atmosphere
> condenses on it. It forms a fogging layer on a lens and a deadly layer on a hard
> drive when the heads which are supposed to be flying a few microns above the
> platters plough into the water droplets condensed on it, creating furrows where

Hard drive has vacuum inside. The outside air does not go inside.

The problem still potentially exists since water may cause short-circuit
on the surface where electronics is placed but I do not thing this is a
serious problem. Make rather an experiment, take an old unused HD and
see what happens.

I guess that wrapping HD in a sort of plastic bag would protect it well
enough. However, have in mind that wrapping it would also case poorer
cooling by air, and there is a substantial amount of heat released on HD.

Or you can spray it over the entire external electronics (except of
connectors) by some sort of non-electricity conducting substance. Though
I suspect this may be done already at factory.

My friend put once a HD into his luggage when going by plain. They are
stored in unheated compartment of airplaine and vacuum seeling got
broken because of cold. He lost HD.

zb.