Linux drove me to get a Mac

Kamran Khan linuxdarkstar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 23:45:29 UTC 2009

On 9-Jan-09, at 4:41 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:04:33PM -0500, Kamran Khan wrote:
>> Sadly you don't get it.  It would seem that many of your cohorts on
>> the list do not either.  For example the solution to print on
>> Linux(Desktop) is to buy a postscript printer.  The solution to allow
>> me to sync my SE Smart Phone with applications running on the Linux
>> Desktop is?  Yes I know, buy hardware that works with Linux.  Like I
>> said you don't get it.  I fail to see how your operating system
>> empowers you when clearly you are a slave to it.
>
> Unfortunately we live in a world where 99% of people use windows,
> and of
> the rest a lot use Mac OS X.
>
> We also have a lot of companies that think everything is a trade
> secret
> even when it has no reason to be.

Well the Open Source Community lives in one Universe the rest of the
world lives in another.  Asking companies to completely open source
their software and platforms is ridiculous.  There is a lot of
information to be gleaned from open source and open specs, some of it
trade secrets, some of it just plain hard work to figure out, some of
it work figure out and some of it trivial.  Having said that, would
you go to a Chef and ask him to give you his best recipes for free?
Some of his recipe will be secret, some will be plain hard workto
figure out, some just work to figure out and some just trivial.  Put
it all together and you have a dish that people from miles around will
come to and pay handsomely for.  The Open Source Community is
advocating a business model that the rest of world doesn't follow and
would outright reject.  The problem started when people starting
politicizing, of all things, computer technology.  Stallman et al have
brought a philosophy that belongs on a hippie commune into the realm
of computer technology.  Most people expect to paid for their work and
technology companies are no different.  They have shareholders, they
have employees and they have multi-national interests that dictate
they turn a profit.  You own a car once you pay for it but do you
actually expect to get the engineering diagrams, technical
specifications and manufacturing techniques as well?  The bottom line
is cloud computing and virtualization technology have pretty much made
this entire discussion pointless.  Microsoft isn't f going away
anytime soon and neither is Linux.  With cloud computing and
virtualization technology everyone gets to play and looks like
Microsoft well get to play a lot.  As for Apple. their future looks
grey but for now it is the best desktop platform going.

As for my assumptions.  Yes I assume that people view computers as
tools.  It is a tool to get something done.  If you look at operating
systems strictly from that assumption, which most people do, clearly
you must make significant sacrifices to run Linux.  Ultimately you are
running an operating system that is largely licensed under the GPL
but   most people can not even understand how the code works and for
the few that can they can not improve Linux on the desktop since it
becomes exceedingly difficult to reverse engineer the multitude of
hardware available for the x86 platform.  Knowing that, clearly you
are a slave to an operating system for scoio-political reasons and
nothing else.   You may pay a premium for PC hardware from Apple but
even in the higher prices there are tangible benefits like a visually
appealing piece of hardware, decent resale value and in person
technical support(both hardware and software) for 1-3 years across the
globe.  In addition your choice of supported hardware and software is
greatly increased.  Naturally if you argue that I only do such and
such, this is not what the vast majority of people do with the tool
and secondly if this is true perhaps you really don't need this kind
of tool and could probably do fine with a SE Smart Phone.

My original post was merely a related comment on the person switching
to Vista.  Considering this LUG functions at least sometimes as a
Linux advocacy group I thought my posting may have been of interest to
the community.

Anyways, I'm off to the Apple Store to look at gadgets.