Microsoft GPS

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 19:30:40 UTC 2009

Merv Curley wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I suppose Google would work but...
>
> My Microsoft Trips 2007/GPS has arrived from Factorydirect.  Now that I have
> spent $30, what do I need?  [ Do I curse Hugh or bless him for the $20
> coupon?]

The value of having a computer-attached GPS is in the ability it gives
you to help participate in the Open Street Map Project:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

This is an attempt to duplicate the global mapping used in systems such
as Google Maps, but without their proprietary mapping data.

> Never having used a GPS, does it only work in the great outdoors?  It comes
> with a little suction cup, I assume this is stuck to a car windshield?

Correct. Using the Microsoft software, you could use that unit, plus
your computer, like a very large portable GPS system.
With Linux its value is to help CREATE data rather than just use it. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners'_Guide to find out how.

> What Linux software is needed for the GPS.  I think Colin has said but I can't find the post.

see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Making_Tracks_with_Homebrew-ware#Linux

The gpsd and associated packages are available as standard Ubuntu
packages, and I imagine they're available pre-packaged for other systems
as well.

> if someone can just post where to go to find this kind of info, I would be
> appreciative.  No need to spend time answering my niggling questions.

HTH.

- Evan