Tomcat Based Webmail

Matthew Godycki mcg2-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 04:07:41 UTC 2009

> Java applications, I have such a feeling, are done mostly by windows
> programmers

Couldn't be further from the truth.  The place where Java makes the most
sense and is most successful is server side.  Most serious Java developers
generally avoid .NET, so as such they're not windows developers ;)

Java when used appropriately is not nearly as bad on the server side as
some make it out to be.  Of course it's not as fast as compiled C/C++
but it has other advantages going for it.  I think the problem you are all
seeing relates to the fact that the languages that have been mentioned
in this thread are mostly ones that are used by *nix geeks, who on
average are good solid programmers.

On the other hand, the popularity of Java makes it so that it is widely
enough used that many many developers use it.  As such, the pool
of Java developers is diluted by people who are generally poor
developers.

For what it's worth, I've been using Java for 10+ years and have used
C/C++ for even longer.  It's mostly about the quality of the developer.
The days of Java just being flat out slow as molasses have mostly
passed.

-M