Linux drove me to get a Mac

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 03:30:30 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> dpkg --get-selections and dpkg --set-selections will let you do a fresh
>> install and then grab whatever the previous system (where you did
>> get-selections) had marked as installed.
>
> That does nothing for configuration management and dumping the values
> for selections that were made during install using
> "debconf-get-selections" dpkg is all but useless since many of the
> parameters are irrelevant in preseeding. I have come to really dislike
> preseeding because of its many exceptions, complexity, and poor
> documentation.

That's where your archived backups of /etc and /var come in :) In fact,
why not just use dd and save using any package manager at all?

>> And aptitude dist-upgrade
>> between releases is absolutely a joy to work with, on a desktop, laptop,
>> server etc. I haven't run into a problem yet using aptitude and etch
>> when it was still the testing release.
>
> I just upgraded Kubuntu 7.10 on this system to 8.04. It went relatively
> smoothly except for the fact that the fonts are now ugly.

I intensely dislike Ubuntu's default freetype setup as well, they seem
to have gone the same route as Fedora and screwed with parts of the
bytecode interpreter for truetype fonts.

Jamon