More microphone grief

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 9 01:28:27 UTC 2009

I thought that USB webcams and microphones would be easier to set up
under Linux than the ones attached to sound cards.
One attempt last week went very smoothly. This time, not so much.

When I configure Skype to use it the test call fails with "problem with
Audio Capture". And when I try to use `arecord`, I get this:

$ arecord --list-devices
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 1: NX6000 [Microsoft� LifeCam NX-6000], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ arecord -D hw:1,0 -d 10 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
arecord: set_params:932: Broken configuration for this PCM: no
configurations available

Ironically the camera component of this webcam works wonderfully, I just
can't get any audio out of the mike.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

- Evan