Linux drove me to get a Mac

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 19:42:15 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>> Being able to right-click on an archive file and extract to a subdirectory
>> broke between KDE3 and KDE4 because the supporting features were
>> temporarily removed from the KDE4 version of Ark. That's not something
>> that can be fixed by Ubuntu alone.
>>

> I generally use the shell for that so I don't miss what I don't use.

FWIW, I followed the instructions to upgrade to Kubuntu KDE 4.1.85
(which is the designation for 4.2 Beta 2); it has solved some problems
and hasn't appeared to create any new ones.
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2-beta-2

>> I used to be able to right-click on a video file, select "properties", and
>> find out its codecs and run-time. Also gone.
>>

> Can't you use the KDE 3 version of the app in question in KDE 4?

Dolphin, the new file manager into which much new effort has gone, is a
KDE4 effort. The version backported to KDE3, D3lphin (now officially
orphaned), misses much functionality. I am, really happy to have "tree"
view back in my file manager.

As for the way to have KDE reveal metadata in its file-properties
displays, I have no idea which "app" does this.

- Evan