Linux drove me to get a Mac

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 8 03:27:05 UTC 2009

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>> The inclusion of KDE4 in Kubuntu 8.10 indicates a serious QC problem
>> within the ubuntu community. For release 8.04 KDE4 was made available as
>> a non-default option. In retrospect that policy should have been
>> maintained for 8.10, a view that is not mitigated by the availability of
>> GNOME as an option.
>>

> You're blaming the wrong party. It's not a KDE problem. It's a Kubuntu
> problem.
Isn't that what I said above? I generally have no qualms with the KDE
folks; while I am still unclear of the new infatuation with desktop
widgets there is a feel that soon enough it will make sense. But it needs
more widgets and functionality that I was common in KDE3 needs
to be restored before they can move forward.

Are these KDE or Kubuntu problems?

Being able to right-click on an archive file and extract to a subdirectory
broke between KDE3 and KDE4 because the supporting features were
temporarily removed from the KDE4 version of Ark. That's not something
that can be fixed by Ubuntu alone.

I used to be able to right-click on a video file, select "properties", and
find out its codecs and run-time. Also gone.

The problems that have aggravated me are not in the choice of theme
or icon set. They're basic functions, appreciated in Kubuntu using KDE3,
that vanished using Kubuntu with KDE4.

I also have spots of the bottom panel occasionally flickering or completely
disappearing until I move the mouse pointer over them. KDE problem or
Kubuntu? Doesn't matter. New users who encounter them will blame
"Linux" and run back to XP or Vista or maybe Macs.

- Evan