Linux has driven me to buy Windows Vista

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 17:34:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:30:08AM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I remember the old "Dungeons and Dragons" game being a real hoot.
> Although after awhile part of the difficulty became getting around
> with the old and worn controllers.
>
> Who needs fancy graphics for a fun game? :-)
>
> Another goodie was "mouse-trap" for Atari.
>
> Anyone know what the legality of emulators+ROMS for these old games
> would be? Would the copyright have expired on them (I believe that NES
> is covered by it's been a long time since Intellivision/Atari produced
> that stuff).

Well copyright is about 75 years or so isn't it?

Some people seem to go by the idea that if you can't actually buy a copy
because no one sells it anymore and in many cases the company no longer
exists, then using copies of the roms is kind of OK.

Certainly pleasuredome goes by that method, and anytime something does
become available for purchase, they stop distributing it, so things like
dragon's lair and space ace which are now available on DVD are no longer
distributed, and some games that are avialable from atari for windows or
as stand alone game devices are no longer distributed either.  But if
they can't be bought anywhere, they think it is fair game.

> I think we're straying a bit off-topic from Linux, so I'll add to that:
>
> Best emulators for 'nix:
> Zsnes on 'nix is pretty good for most games. I believe you're still
> legit if you own the original carts.
> I've also used "epsxe" with some success. It can play PS games
> straight from the CD. Some games where the graphics are better than
> the original playstation on my PC graphics card :-)
> For mame, "kxmame" or "gmame" are nice too.
> Haven't tested anything for atari/intellivision though, but a lot of
> those old games have been remade with clones anyhow.

I think mess covers a number of the old consoles.  It is related to
mame.

--
Len Sorensen