Linux drove me to get a Mac

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 15:10:37 UTC 2009

I remember one that always used to tweak the nose of Linux people but
(especially now that I use BSD for most of the work servers these
days) I find rather amusing:

"Linux is for people who hate windows, BSD is for those who love freedom" :-)

Honestly, there are things I *love* about Macs, Linux, BSD, and even
windows. Equally, there are things I absolutely hate about them all as
well.

One thought I had though, was that the newer version of MacOS (OSX
version previous especially)/Linux/BSD tend to have significantly more
to offer over others, and - at least with Vista - there hasn't been
visibly that much more in the windows world (certainly 2k/XP was a big
step up from 9x in many ways though).

Of course, then I tried ubuntu 8.10 with **KDE4... and thus far -
while it looks "prettier" - the broken functionality over KDE3 tends
to lead to think that even Linux, at least in terms of the UI, is far
from faultless in this regard.

- TJA

** Has anyone else tried KDE4? I'd love to swap notes and try to sort
out the big annoyance it's become.

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Tyler Aviss wrote:
>>
>> I think one of the big issues to consider is that NONE of these get
>> the job done for everyone, and often enough no one OS may even get the
>> job done for an individual. Plenty of people I know use windows for
>> games (the ones that don't run in other OS's), Linux for a general OS,
>> and sometimes a Mac for other purposes (and certainly many have gone
>> with the iPhone, which is somewhat of a new contender for 'other
>> purposes' in itself).
>
> I think the worst thing an advocate for any OS (or anything, for that
> matter) is to encourage someone who is not happy with X to stay with X. For
> some, MS is peaches for everything. Same with OS X. We are largely Linux
> fans by definition. In the end though, everything has it's place.
>
> As I see it, and this is heavy generalization;
>
> Linux - Tinkerers, security freaks, people who always must go against the
> crowds, programmers and people who've had someone else set it up and love
> that their email always works.
>
> Microsoft - Gamers, mainstreamers, people who hate change, "power users" and
> people who love to install a mile of odds and ends programs.
>
> OS X - Graphics, artists, people who want something that "just works" and
> don't mind that they have to pay when things go wonky.
>
> Most people are some mix of these, and will use a mix of them. For me, Linux
> is tops, but I've got Vista on my game machine and I am trying to pester my
> boss into getting me an OS X box to play with.
>
> I am sure most here use some. Even most who refuse to use one under any
> circumstance will recognize that X has it's place.
>
> So to Kamran,
>
> I hope to see you around, and either way, enjoy your shiny new box!
>
> Madi

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2