Linux drove me to get a Mac

Kamran Khan linuxdarkstar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 19:33:56 UTC 2009

After 7 years of Linux being my primary desktop operating system at
home(I tinkered with Linux since the Walnut Creek days) I jumped to a
MacBook with Leopard.  OS X is basically BSD UNIX with nice candy on
top so you all the command tools that I came to love in UNIX and Linux
are pretty much available.  OS X has better support for hardware,
especially gadgets like cell phones and cameras.  Not as much as
Windows but more then Linux and major vendors like Nokia release their
software natively for OS X.  OS X has better support for games, some
of the big games are native on OS X and of course there is Wine and
Cedega.  OS X has much better integration between its applications
like iCal and mail.app.  Lastly, overall OS X is more "polished" then
Linux.  Linux as server operating system is excellent but when you
move closer and closer to end user applications you see a lack of
refinement, lack of polish, sometimes a lot of instability and very
poor integration.  The fasciation of getting things to work with Linux
has long since passed and when I buy a printer I pretty much just want
to plug it in.  You pay a big premium for what is essentially PC
hardware but so far it has proven to be the best desktop os I can
find.  So long Linux, see you on embedded devices everywhere.