OT: Internet at home without active phone line

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 17:58:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Rogers mobile internet is an option.

I've been using this on the train, and I treat it as my backup link at
home but I wouldn't recommend using it it as a primary link.  Latency
varies a lot and even overall speed can vary.  I'm happy with it for what
I use it for but I wouldn't consider it a replacement for DSL or cable to
the home.

> Some parts of toronto can have internet access via hydro's wifi network.
>
> Some satelite providers might still exist.

I'm sure they do in fact.

> Well rogers cable can be very fast (downstream).  Of course there is the
> dynamic IP (although it rarely changes) and the ban on running servers

They (used to?) periodically scan for listening ports and don't seem to
care about ssh, which is good.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy