OT: Internet at home without active phone line

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 17:25:19 UTC 2009

James Knott wrote:
> Dave M. Sullivan wrote:
>> I wasn't aware that Rogers offered ADSL... I've never seen it
>> mentioned on their website. Though, they don't specify that its cable
>> either. It just says "Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Service".
>
> They inherited ADSL and dial up modem service, along with wired phone
> customers, when they bought Sprint a few years ago.  I had seen the
> service listed on their web site previously, but not now.  However, by
> searching on ADSL, I found ADSL modems listed.  I suspect they may not
> be  promoting that service in favour of cable, though it does give them
> access to customers in areas not served by cable TV.  Their dial up
> modem service is still offered on their web site though.

Hmmm...  I just found this in their FAQ:
https://rogers.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rogers.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15217&p_created=1211485584&p_sid=JP57kfnj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ6MSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTMsMTMmcF9wcm9kcz0yNSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9MS4yNSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWFkc2w*&p_li=&p_topview=1

They don't say if the service is still offered, but if it is, I imagine
you'll have to ask and be in an area where cable is not available.