Wireless Office

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 00:27:09 UTC 2009

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 01:50:38PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
>> It also uses CCMP, instead of TKIP for improved security.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCMP
>>

> WPA2 allows TKIP still, so WPA2 does not mean better security.  It
> could, but it doesn't have to.

As always, security is what you configure for.  I have CCMP enabled,
which is why I see "RSN" on the WiFi connection in Knetworkmanger.  I
still see some with WEP enabled and even some who haven't bothered to
change the default settings their WiFi box came with.  Even if you
mangaged to break my WiFi, you'd still be up against my firewall.  I
suspect anyone looking for free WiFi access will pass me by for one of
my dumber neighbours.  Short of setting up a RADIUS server, what would
you recommend I do to improve my WiFi security?