OT: Internet at home without active phone line

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 23:50:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 04:33:22PM -0500, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> I am currently looking at the options of getting broadband (ADSL
> level) internet connection at home without having active phone
> line.
>
> The only methods I can see is using dry loop DSL or Cable
> Internet. Is there any other way?

Rogers mobile internet is an option.

Some parts of toronto can have internet access via hydro's wifi network.

Some satelite providers might still exist.

Some rural areas have special directional wifi services as well.

> For Cable Internet, it seems the choice is only Rogers, right?
> While apparently much better than Bell, this still a
> disadvantage of this option.

3web and a few others can provide service over rogers cable in some
areas, although rogers throtling still applies (just as bell throthling
still applies to ADSL).

> From cost point of view - which is quite important for me right
> now - it seems that Rogers option can have a slight advantage:
> most likely no setup fee, compare to TekSavvy $39.98 activation
> + service fee. And if I agree to 1 year contract with Rogers,
> apparently the monthly cost for Express can be as low as $35 per
> month, compare to $39.05 TekSavvy asked for High Speed Premium
> DSL + Band B rate.

Well rogers cable can be very fast (downstream).  Of course there is the
dynamic IP (although it rarely changes) and the ban on running servers
and such, which teksavvy doesn't have.  And you can get blocks of static
IPs on teksavvy.

> Any other thought?
>
> While at it, I has some related questions which you may have the
> answers:
>
> - How bad is the latency of TekSavvy's Unlimited DSL? Will it
> apparent if you ssh in and run a full screen console program
> (such as pine, links, emacs, vim, etc.)?

Ehm, I doubt it.  80ms is a couple of screen refreshes on your
monitor.

> - Anybody have experience with CIK telecom
> <http://www.ciktel.com/> ? They offer dry DSL, unlimited, for
> $479.88 per year, prepaid.

I thought dry DSL prices varies by area depending on what bell charged,
so a fixed price wasn't possible.  Or is that the cost on top of the dry
line fee?

--
Len Sorensen