Compatible USB wireless

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 18:28:51 UTC 2009

Ian Petersen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> So I grabbed a TP-Link/RaLink wireless USB adaptor and all has been
>> well for surfing. It's slightly bigger than a USB memory stick, but
>> still fairly low-profile while getting a decent signal.
>> I'll check what the exact model is when I get home, but there's a
>> native kernel driver that works nicely.
>
> Can you compare battery consumption between an onboard wifi card vs. a
> USB stick?  I have a couple of machines that work with "traditional"
> 802.11g cards, but I'd like to upgrade to 802.11n one day and a USB
> adapter sounds pretty convenient.

In that situation, I'd seriously consider replacing the internal WiFi
NIC, as you'll then be able to use the built in antenna.  I did that
with my ThinkPad.  The original NIC in it would only do 802.11b and it
did not work well with Linux WiFi utilities, though I could establish
connections.  I bought an Intel card and it worked well, though the swap
cost me the telephone modem, which was built into the old card.