Forwarded distro question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 17:09:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:47:21PM -0500, Phillip Mills wrote:
> A friend, not on this list, asks for recommendations of a specific
> distributions, "that will run on a Lenovo T-43 laptop and will be able
> to use the built-in WiFi."

Well given the type of wifi built in is often a choice of 2 or 3 on
lenovo's, which one does that particular machine have?

Based on what I have seen on lenovo's most have either intel 3xxx or
4xxx or ath5k.  I have seen one new one with an intel 5xxx last month,
and well no linux support for that one yet.  The intel 3xxx and 4xxx
tends to work very well with the iwlwifi drivers and firmware that most
current distributions contain (2.6.26 seems to work for those).  There
has been issues with the 3xxx in 2.6.26 for some systems, which appears
to be fixed in 2.6.28, and the ath5k has issues on some machines too,
which might be fixed in 2.6.28 as well.

Wifi is a pain in the rear. :)

I do know I helped someone at work install Debian lenny on a thinkpad
t61p and the intel 4xxx wifi worked right away, as did everything else
which was really quite a sight to see.

--
Len Sorensen