Linux has driven me to buy Windows Vista

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 16:57:12 UTC 2009

Actually I had an overall question/theory about this. Can anyone
confirm or correct me on this...

I believe that one of the issues with Cedega VS windows is that NVidia
cards have better OpenGL support, and Cedega translates the applicable
DirectX calls to the appropriate OpenGL ones (which in the case of ATI
might not work as well if the GL support is lacking)? Since ATI has
been bought out by AMD their drivers have (IMHO) improved greatly
though, and according to slashdot they've open-sourced their drivers
as well, so hopefully things will be even better in the future

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/30/0337204

- TJA

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Michael Lauzon wrote:
>>
>> You can play "EVE Online" under Linux, as well as World of Warcraft
>> using Cedega...so really you wasted $160 for nothing.
>
> I tried the Linux client for EvE and it crashed on close... I was never able
> to even adjust the video settings. Apparently it doesn't work well with ATI
> video cards. As for WoW, there were too many reports of Cedega/Wine users
> getting banned because Blizzard detected hacks running for me to be
> comfortable risking it.
>
> If I could reliably play both under Linux, I would in a heart beat. The
> truth of it though is that, for all Linux's strengths, gaming is not one of
> them (yet).
>
> Madi

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support